Washington, D.C. — On Wednesday, June 10th at 3:00pm ET, the Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC) will hold a remote hearing entitled “Conducting Effective Oversight: What Congress Can Do to Root Out Corruption and Ensure Coronavirus Relief Funds Benefit the American Public,” featuring experts to discuss the need for greater oversight of the lending authorities in the CARES Act to ensure that these programs assist midsize businesses, and place meaningful conditions on assistance to large corporations.
This week’s hearing will be chaired by CPC Co-Chair Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal (WA-07) and CPC Executive Board Member Congresswoman Katie Porter (CA-45). The hearing will examine the work of the Congressional Oversight Commission and identify solutions to ensure federal funds are being used to keep workers on payrolls.
Wednesday's virtual hearing will be available to watch live here.
WHAT: CPC Remote Hearing; “Conducting Effective Oversight: What Congress Can Do to Root Out Corruption and Ensure Coronavirus Relief Funds Benefit the American Public”
- CPC Co-Chair Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal (WA-07)
- Congresswoman Katie Porter (CA-45)
- Bharat Ramamurti, Member of the Congressional Oversight Commission and Managing Director of the Corporate Power Program at the Roosevelt Institute.
- Norm Eisen, Senior Fellow, Governance Studies at Brookings Institution
- Damon Silvers, Policy Director at the AFL-CIO
- Lisa Gilbert, Vice President of Legislative Affairs at Public Citizen
- Members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus
WHERE: The hearing will air live on the Progressive Caucus’s Facebook Page
WHEN: Wednesday, June 10th at 3:00pm Eastern/12:00pm Pacific
BACKGROUND: Over the last few months, the Progressive Caucus has been holding weekly virtual hearings to examine bold ideas to tackle the coronavirus crisis. On April 29th, the CPC held its first remote hearing on the pandemic, focused on the need for expanded worksharing and to prevent layoffs. On Wednesday, May 6th, the CPC held its second hearing, focused on the disproportionate toll of the epidemic on communities of color. And on May 13th, the CPC held its third hearing on strategies for ramping up testing and contact tracing to safely reopen the economy. The hearings are available to watch on the Progressive Caucus’s Facebook page.